Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Update on my shoulder

This has been a long learning process for me!! I have greater empapthy for people with chronic pain and disabilities. About Mid-May it was decided that I needed to go back to the hospital and be put under so that the surgeon could manipulate my arm (yank with all of his might). My shoulder was really stiff with a lot of adhesions and wasn't allowing my arm full range of motion. So on May 27th I went back and had the procedure done. It took about 17 minutes and I am so grateful that I was asleep for it!!! I was in recovery for a couple of hours. I was so tired and I just wanted to go to sleep. I was not in pain so I was comfortable and when I fell asleep an alarm would go off because my oxygen level would go down. The alarm would wake me up which was very annoying! Gary had to keep reminding me to breath deeply. I finally got to go home but I was very nauseated and in pain for the remainder of the day. It was worse than after the surgery. I had to start physical therapy that afternoon and that was very painful!!! I had physical therapy for the next two days along with exercises. I am back to physical therapy twice a week and each day my shoulder gets a little stronger and a little more movement. It will take awhile for the muscles to build back up so they can make my arm do what I want it to.

I have the cutest lap top of my very own. Gary got it for me for our anniversary. I know it's on the 13th but he couldn't wait to give it to me and I knew I was getting it and I couldn't wait to open it!!!!

2 comments:

Kari Lyn said...

Hi Karen! I can't remember exactly how I found your blog, but I'm glad I did. I'm glad to hear your shoulder is on the mend. I fell last September and my shoulder is finally starting to feel better. I'm not comparing it to your experience, but I can sort of understand your pain!

Kristen said...

I hope that in 4 months (since your post) your shoulder has gotten better. No fun to be immobile!! Keep recovering well!