Monday, April 6, 2009

Recovering from surgery

Well, I just looked at my blog and the last note was just after October Conference. I knew it had been awhile, but we just had Conference again. So I guess I had better catch up on a few things. It's not that I didn't want to post but I wanted to do it with pictures and I can't pin Melissa down long enough to help me.
Anyway Conference was incredible as always. It is always so uplifting for me. I especially loved Elder Holland's talk on the Savior and his atonement and the lonely road that we sometimes have to walk. It is one I shall not forget. It reminded me of Elder McConkie's talk just before he died.
So for those of you who don't know, I had surgery on my left shoulder on April 1st. (I told the surgeon not to play any tricks on me.) That was right before I fell asleep. the reason for surgery was a lot of pain, torn cartilage, adhesions and bone sours. I had a frozen shoulder, as in frozen in place. I only had about 40% motion left and some things I just couldn't do, like put a pony tail in my hair.
The surgery was about an hour and a half and went well. I have been trying to take it easy and keep ice on it which helps. I was grateful to have a reason to sit still for two days and watch conference. Thank you for the cards, flowers, meals, balloons and prayers. I feel very loved.
Today I started physical therapy. I wanted to cry! ( I actually did when I got home.) It is going to a very long process to get movement back. I need some good coaches! I have greater empathy for people who have a longer road to recovery than I have. I couldn't imagine being told I would never walk again and then going though what it would take to walk. My sweet neighbor, Elaine, just brought dinner for my family. I am very blessed and would much rather be the giver than the recipient. I just got released from Young Women after three years. I love serving in Youn Women and will miss the girls and leaders tremendously. I am excited for a new calling. More on that later.

1 comment:

Lori Thornbrue said...

I should have read your blog earlier so we would have known before last week that you had surgery. I can be helpful (sometimes). Hope all goes well. Summer's coming, and you are going to want to do that pony tail!